History of Byrne Brothers Foods

Ellen, John J ByrneSr & John Jr 1908

The John Murrin Company was started in 1915.  A company selling coffee, tea, pickles, dressing, napkins, and sundry groceries to cafes in Fort Worth Texas.  The company was located in downtown Fort Worth at 1503 Throckmorton St.

John Byrne, in his early twenties, came to the United States from Ireland in 1922.  He worked for the John Murrin Company until purchasing the company in 1939.  The name was changed to the John Byrne Company, Coffee Roasters.  

John and Jane Byrne 1934

Louis Furgerson started working for the company in 1940 and he was instrumental in the success of the company during the 1940s.  Louis worked for the John Byrne Company until 1953.

Louis Furgerson 1967

In 1938, Harvey Verse began working for the John Byrne Company at a time of racial segregation when the black community had its own restaurants which it patronized.  Black sales reps were nearly unheard of in the state of Texas.  Verse broke this racial barrier, becoming the first black sales rep in the Fort Worth area.  He also manufactured many of the products he sold including; horse radish, worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, mustard, salad dressings and syrups.  Harvey provided 48 years of service with the company.

Harvey Verse 1982

In 1948, the company moved to Hemphill and Terrell Streets in Fort Worth and the name was changed to Byrne Spice Company.  The company was actively selling to local restaurants.  The company moved to 1015 E. 1st Street in downtown and then on to 2913 Montgomery Street in 1958.  John Byrne built the building at 2913 Montgomery and now, 60-years later, a restaurant currently occupies building.  John Byrne passed away in 1963.

1200 East Lancaster, Fort Worth 1975

John J. Byrne. Jr. has operated the business since 1963.  Byrne Spice Company purchased the Acme Coffee Company in 1974 and moved to the latter's location at 1200 East Lancaster.  The Corporate name was changed to Byrne Acme Foods to reflect the combination of both companies.  Because of increased sales throughout the Fort Worth - Dallas metropolitan area, Byrne Acme Foods built a larger warehouse in Mansfield Texas.

1021 E. Dallas Street, Mansfield, Texas 1996

John and Jo Ann Byrne's sons are working in the business; therefore, the corporate name was changed to Byrne Brothers Foods in 1984.  Because of continual growth in the business, the warehouse was doubled in size in 1996.

Byrne Brothers Foods now provides weekly delivery services throughout the Fort Worth / Dallas area including the North Texas cities of Frisco, Granbury, Decatur, Sanger, Waxahachie, Cedar Hill, Cleburne, Burleson and Garland.  Byrne Brothers customers cover all aspects of the food service industry including; independent restaurants, multiple unit restaurants,  local school districts and other institutions.